The Avro Lancaster
Lancaster Intercom on Op's
PO. Arthur Marcus Fitzgerald
Sgt. Cyril Herbert Pratt
Sgt. Sydney James Mitchell
Sgt. William Walter George Addison
Sgt. Henry Albert Toomey
Sgt. Stephen Preston
Sgt. John Goodwin
ED627 Crash Site
Hauptmann Ludwig Meister
Crew members photo
Durnbach War Cemetery
Durnbach Cemetery Video's
Bombed from above
Members of other Crews
Contacts and Links
Of the 7377 Lancaster build,
only 16 examples currently exist in one piece, with just two of these
remaining in airworthy condition.
One of the airworthy examples is a Lancaster B.X KB726 owned by the
Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
The only other airworthy example is Lancaster TB.1 PA474 operated and
maintained by the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight based at RAF
Coningsby in Lincolnshire.
Lancaster PA474 of the Battle of Britain
PA474 was built by Vickers
Armstrong in Chester in mid 1945 and was earmarked for the 'Tiger Force' in
the Far East. However, the war with Japan ended before it could take part in
any hostilities. After modification at Coventry, including the removal of
it's turrets, PA474 was assigned to Photographic Reconnaissance duties with
82 Squadron in East and South Africa.
When PA474 was returned to the United Kingdom it was loaned to Flight
Refuelling Ltd at Tarrant Rushton to be used as a pilotless drone. However,
before the conversion started, the Air Ministry decided to use a Lincoln
aircraft instead and PA474 was transferred to the Royal College of
Aeronautics where it was used for trials on the Handley Page Laminar Flow
wing. The trial wings were mounted vertically on the upper rear fuselage.
In 1964 it was adopted by the Air Historical Branch (AHB) for future
display in the proposed RAF Museum at Hendon and was flown to Wroughton
where it was painted in a camouflage paint scheme, though without any
squadron markings. During this period PA474 also took part in 2 films,
'Operation Crossbow' and 'The Guns of Navarone'. Later in 1974 it was moved
to RAF Henlow in preparation for display at the RAF Museum.
The first unit to be equipped with Lancasters was 44 Squadron and in 1965
the Commanding Officer of this unit, which was now flying Vulcans from RAF
Waddington, sought permission from the AHB for PA474 to be transferred to
the care of this Squadron. An inspection found that the aircraft was
structurally sound and permission was granted for the aircarft to make a
single flight from Henlow to Waddington.
At Waddington PA474 was given the markings 'KM-B' commemorating John
Nettleton VC and the aircraft he flew on the Augsburg raid on 17 April 1942.
Subsequently PA474 was worked on by a dedicated team of engineers and
slowly but surely put back into full flying trim, taking to the air again on
7 November 1967. After the initial test flight, approval was given for the
aircraft to make 'occasional flights'. But once it could be seen that the
Lancaster performed safely and that there was sufficient infrastructure to
support it in an airworthy condition, permission was granted to fly the
aircraft on a regular basis.
The aircraft eventually joined the BBMF in November 1973. Restoration work
on various parts of the aircraft has continued ever since. A mid-upper
turret was discovered in Argentina and was brought back to Britain and
fitted to PA474 in 1975. The same year the aircraft was adopted by the City
Over the years, PA474 has slowly been returned to its 'operational wartime
condition' inside and out. During the winter of 1995/96 it received a brand
new main spar which will extend its life well into the new millennium.
Kept flying by a dedicated band of aircrew and groundcrew, PA474 is unique
in that it is UK's sole airworthy representative of the RAF's four-engined
heavy wartime bombers, and as such serves as living memorial to the 55,000
plus Allied airmen of Bomber Command who lost their lives during World War
To go to the website of the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight -
The Association continues in its unique
position as the official public support group for the Battle of Britain
It is a registered charity and today has between 4000 and 5000 members
Membership currently costs £8.00 per annum.
If you would like to give your support to the Flight and become a member,
receiving 2 in-house journals, the annual flying and display programme, the
BBMF brochure and a members day with the Flight each year, send a SAE for a
membership application form to:
Lincolnshire's Lancaster Association
PO Box 474
Other Surviving Lancasters in
the United Kingdom
B.1 R5868 - RAF Museum, Hendon
The oldest surviving Lancaster in the world,
the RAF Museum's R5868 has an enviable war record, having flown 137
operational sorties, including 8 trips to Berlin and 16 to the Ruhr. The
aircraft actually started life on the Metropolitan Vickers production line
in Manchester as an Avro Manchester (part of a batch ordered in 1939), but
was completed as a Lancaster.
It was delivered to 83 Squadron at RAF Scampton on 29 June 1942.
It is now housed in the RAF Bomber Command Hall at the RAF Museum as a
To go to the website of the RAF Museum Hendon -
KB889 - Imperial War Museum, Duxford
The only example of a Canadian-built B.X in the UK, the Imperial War
Museum's Lancaster was one of 430 built by the Victory Aircraft Company at
Malton, Ontario, Canada. It rolled off the production line in late 1944 and
was flown across the Atlantic to Britain where it joined 428 Squadron (RCAF)
in April 1945.
After spending sometime in Britain and back in Canada, in was purchased by
the Imperial War Museum in 1986 thanks to the help of the National Heritage
Memorial Fund and was moved to Duxford, where a full static restoration was
started. After much work the bomber was unveiled in its original 428
Squardon (RCAF) colours on 1 November 1994 and remains to this day one of
the major aircraft attractions at Duxford.
To go to the website of the Imperial War Museum, Duxford -
Other sites about the Avro
For an interactive cutaway drawing of the
For the Avro Lancaster - Historic Wings -